ILikeDoge

1039 pts ยท March 26, 2014


Because in a net metering arrangement, I can and do pull a full load from the power plant when there is no sun. So I don't pull from the power plant when convenient to me, preventing the power plant from making that money, and then demand power from the plant when I want without having to pay. Power plants cost money even if they aren't running.

2 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

You're describing a completely different system, so sure, call it whatever you want.

2 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 2

Because everyone should pay their fair share. Just because the government wastes Billions of dollars every year doesn't mean rich people shouldn't pay taxes, even though the government doesn't need that money. Similarly, other people shouldn't have to pay to maintain the grid that I'm using even though I spent $30k on a solar install.

2 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 2

That's irrelevant to each recipient paying their fair share to the overall utility. I am not, because I have net metering. How is that fair? It isn't nothing else considered, which is why it can't continue forever.
Solar is plenty worthwhile with other existing incentives even if you only get wholesale rate on what you put on the grid. Batteries getting cheaper will make that even more so.

2 years ago | Likes 2 Dislikes 1

2 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

2 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

2 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

2 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

From a fellow data nerd, I love the two tools I use to look at my system. Emporia Vue, which puts a CT on your mains and every branch you want, including your solar input. It helps show what is using electricity in the house. Always interesting to see, and you can put custom ROMs on it if you don't want to use the standard or want on site data vs the cloud. The other is Solar Assistant, which pings my inverter ever 3 seconds and records the data, makes cool graphs and data conglomerations.

2 years ago | Likes 2 Dislikes 0

I have net metering on my house, and it's great, but I completely understand why they can't do it for everyone. The grid has to be paid for somehow. I only pay a $11 connection fee now that I have so much banked up. For reference in my area, you would pay at least as much for a battery as the panels themselves, and that wouldn't get you through multiple cloudy days depending on your use.

2 years ago | Likes 15 Dislikes 0

Who gets to choose? It's not you. Someone else is making those decisions and if you don't agree with them what are you going to do about it?

2 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 1

My problem with cameras are you don't get to pick and choose which things are ok to be done or not done. While I rarely believe in the slippery slope argument, I do believe it fits well with cameras. One day it's ULEZ, the next day it's privacy violations.

2 years ago | Likes 20 Dislikes 33

It's an analog FPV camera. It's sending video over a wireless link, not cell towers or something and doesn't have great bandwidth. Obstacles cause a slight loss of signal quality so the video link suffers. It happens when going inside the building due to the obstruction, but there are obstructions outside too. Could be flying behind a different building, or a hillside, or anything really.

2 years ago | Likes 8 Dislikes 0

Congrats! looks great. I've got a R33. Can't wait for the R34 to be legal in the USA. Even though I won't be able to afford one any time soon I'd love to just see one.

3 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

I think you missed the original question, dude said "speed means nothing", and since you said "much" you clearly disagree with "nothing" too

3 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

Speed can mean something if you're making use of the kinetic energy of moving water as much as the potential energy from the drop via grvity

3 years ago | Likes 9 Dislikes 1

It says it economically melts snow so at least there's that

3 years ago | Likes 10 Dislikes 0

Got Mr. Moneybags over here

3 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

You can? From where? not for MSRP certainly.

4 years ago | Likes 3 Dislikes 3

I forgot what we were talking about TBH, so I'm going to go with... yes

4 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

This feels illegal

4 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

The atmospheric pressure in the stratosphere is literally 1000 times less than sea level. I fail to see how 1000 times less is firmly inside

4 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0

He only hit those speeds because he was outside most the atmosphere. Might as well use our speed moving around the sun if you're using that

4 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 1

Technically not true, terminal velocity for a human is still less than the Peregrine Falcon

4 years ago | Likes 2 Dislikes 1

My mom just lost the battle to MS in November. I appreciate the continued advances but am a bit bitter they didn't come soon enough

4 years ago | Likes 19 Dislikes 0

I believe last time this was posted it was also shown the "receptionist" was in the picture of the delivery, and the receptionist was a cat.

5 years ago | Likes 2 Dislikes 1

You must live in the boonies

5 years ago | Likes 1 Dislikes 0